Sunday, June 11, 2006

baseball glove : We Are Going to Cooperstown

I just had to see these pictures. I was compelled. to walk down this aisle.

The first picture as I entered the area was of Babe Ruth. His bat was over his shoulder. His face was wrought with age. He looked a little old, heavy and a little overweight. As I stared at the picture I got very sad. I could see that his career was about to end.

Next painting was of Lou Gehrig. A smiling Lou Gehrig. I felt so happy just to be in the presence of one of my all time heroes. Even if it was just a picture.

Then there was one of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams standing on the dugout steps Their bodies were angled toward each other. I enjoyed the joy they seemed to have just being there. Ready to play another game.

There were other paintings one of Jackie Robinson, another of Ty Cobb

and another of Honus Wagner that I loved.

Upon gazing toward the end of the row of paintings I saw a glass case with what looked like a tan baseball glove inside. This seemed very weird in that all the players that were depicted in the paintings were from an era when dark brown gloves were used. . I felt confused. This mitt did not seem to belong here. I just had to see whose glove this was.

I could not believe my eyes. It was not a glove. It was a sculpture of a glove. Perfect in size. Detailed so exact that the grayish colored seams were complete in length width and color. The depth of this piece was ideal What this sculptor had captured amazed me. I thought about the time he invested in creating this piece. About how much this person must have loved baseball that he took the time to mold a piece equipment. I visualized he sitting in his workroom playing with clay to make this piece real.

I called my wife to come see this incredible piece. We both were moved. I even cried.

I was given a glimpse of one of the greatest pieces of art I had ever seen. I have been to major museums and have seen painting by Van Gough, Picasso, and Dahli ..I have seen the Thinker by Rodin.

I have never been moved like I was by the glove.

Whenever I think of the Hall of Fame my mind jumps to the glove. I do not know if this piece is there any more. It did have a price tag of $8500 when I was there so it may have been moved.

But if you get the chance to see the glove I suggest you take a look.

© 2006 Hotlib.com - All Rights reserved

No comments: