Monday, September 04, 2006

baseball glove : Baseball And Summertime Fun

If a kid is an average run of the mill summertime and school is out, run about youngster, in sneakers kicking an empty can along the sidewalk? What's he to do?

He is a little short and not really fast so the basketball league has no uniform for him. Football is for tough as nails hard hitting grind you into the ground heroes. Golf is for the boys with plenty of jingle in their pockets. Soccer coach pays no attention to chubby slow participants.

The boys over on Lake street are playing those ruffians of Oak street this afternoon down at the ole ball diamond. Jim who lives on Lake street told me his mom was making him go to piano lessons and his team would be short a player.

Well, at least I have my baseball glove a really keen Rawlings Mickey Mantle model dad got me. I'll go down and hang around and maybe Dickie who lives on Meadow Lane but plays with Lake street might want me to fill in for Jim. I think Dickie is the captain for Lake street and he seems to be an Okay guy.

Boy did Dickie seem glad to see me and immediately asked would I play right field for Lake street? Would I! you bet your boots, I just knew Dickie was a straight up ball playing leader happy for me to play.

Little did I know that right field is where all the novice beginners were stuck to do the least harm. As luck would be on my side through out the game not a single ball came my way in right field. The most thrilling thing in my life happened in the third inning.

That big ole Bill Miller was pitching for Oak street and none of my teammates had hit the ball out of the infield. I remember we already had two outs when it was my turn. It just felt natural standing there in the batters box. I had watched a lot of baseball on television and I wanted to mimic my favorite player.

Stan "The Man" Musial with the St.Louis Cardinals had a most unusual stance at the plate. I wanted to keep my eyes fully focused on Bill so I did not twist and look over my shoulder. Stan did cock and raise his front foot so sure as punch this is what I did too.

You know in baseball kidding and ribbing if a player pulls off a really amazing feat the old saying goes, "Even a blind hog will find an acorn some time." Bill grooved a hard fast ball and I simply took that cocked leg stride and whamo right on the button.

I had never felt anything in my life that gave me a bigger thrill as I watched that ball clear the left field fence. I watched it standing at home plate with Dickie down in the first base coaching box screaming to high heaven, "run."

Where else could a kid receive such a thrill ? Without the right stuff of speed, height, heavy muscles or proven athleticism would not even get a chance at other sports.

By Wiley Channell

No comments: